Carrion Crown: Kyle's
For my benefit I am have been reading up on psions to make sure we are playing them right. Just like I did with sneak attack and incorporeal I have studied up to make sure we are playing them correctly. As such I have just got a few things I would like to discuss to make sure everything with the Puppeteer is co-sure and you have it right.
1) Remember with the thrall herder you permanently loose 1 manifester level for the 1st level of the prestige (thrall herder 1) which instead gives you a thrall (the henefit). Hence at level 7 you only manifest psion powers as a level 6 psion (see psion unleashed p21).. I just note this because you mainfested mind control (telepath 4) and fold space (teleportation or psion 4) which is a 4th tier ability, only accessable to a psion when he manifests as a level 7 (not 6). Since you manifest level is 6 you should have 13 powers known and a base of 35 power points for psion levels (disregarding bonus for high INT, race or feat). Since you loose a manifester level you are only considered to have the power points of a level 6 psion. Since you only manifest as a lv 6 you must treat your caster level as 6 for all powers. Eg mindlink has duration 10min/lv = 1hr(level 6 psion). This will also mean you loose out when trying to penetrate spell/piwer resistance, as you only will recive a +6 bonus to the roll, not +7. But that is the trade off for your thralls. This means if Carrow and Lilith make it all the way until Carrow reavhes Lv20, Lilth will manifest powers better then Carrow. This would be due to Carrow loosing a second manifest level for the lv 10 thrall herder ability. so Carrow would manifest as lv 18 psion (@ lv 20) and Lilth as lv 19 psion (-1 level of Carrows Character Class level).
2) Since you chose telepath as your discipline, you can choose manifested abilities from the telepath path. However, you do not get access to all telepath powers. Instead you can choose to add them by choosing one of the telepath powers as one of your powers known from the 13 powers you know. Of course Expanded knowledge (feat) adds extra powers know. Expanded knowledge also allows you to access powers outside of the general powers and telepath discipline. Meaning with Expanded knowledge you can select powers from other disciplines, like psycuokinesis, metacreativity, etc.
3) Make sure you add your bonus power points for having higher INT to your class from the front of the class section in psionics unleashed from the table. Remember due to you loosing a manifester level you are only considered as a 6th level manifester on the table. So if you have INT score of 24-25 you would have +21 power points according to the table. Of your INT was 22-23 it would be +18. If it was 20-21 it would be +15. The power points table is on p20 psionics unleashed.
4) Mindlink only allows you to telepathically communicate with anyone effected. The bond does not allow you to read minds or see trough anothers eyes, instead it acts like a two way radio sending/recieving messages only.
If you wish to probe a persons mind you need the read thoughts power as one of your 13 powers known. This of course will require extra power points to manifest.
5) Make sure you subtract the power points when you use them. Eg your Crisis of breath takes 5 points to manifest. It can also be augmented. As p63 psionics unleashed states you can augment powers = to your manifester level. Because your manifester level is level 6 at the moment, this means you can augment any power up to a maximum of 6 bonus points. With your crisis of breath it states;
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
3. If you spend 6 additional power points, this power can affect up to four creatures all within a 20-ft.-radius burst.
In addition, for every 2 additional power points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this power’s save DC increases by 1.
Essentially this means you can augment it to effect 4 humanoid targets using 6 power points which would add a +3 DC to the power. Remember the maximum you can augment it at the moment is 6 points (or your manifester level). It cosrs a flar 5 points to manifest which means it would cost 11 points to manifest.
6) You can manifest powers from the psi crown you got using your own power points (and not the 30 points that came with the crown) with a spell/psi craft check of 20. You can also recharge the item on a 1 point to 1 point basis. This means unspent power points during the day can be used to recharge the item. Meaning if you have 30 unspent power points you can completely recharge your psi crown. Remember the psi crown takes up a head slot for your magic items. If you are clever the item gives you effectively a 30 point bonus to your power points, provided you do not spend ovwr your normal power points for the day, which means it is a good reserve for emergencies. Read p 65 for more info.
7) You can learn extra powers using the rules from p65-66.psionics unleashed. Basically it states you can gain powers by the following;
- Independent research. 1000gp x power level (spell level) + a successful spellcraft roll of 10 + spell level. Eg Breach (Level 2 power) = 2000gp + successful spellcraft roll of 12. It would also take 2 weeks (or power level in weeks) of uninterrupted meditation to learn.
NOTE: This is usually done to change current powers known.However, by increasing the diffuculty by x2 for the manifester level required, the power can be a permenantly known bonus power. Eg Breach to become a permanently power know would require the 2000gp + 2 weeks (power level 2) + a spell craft of 14 (or 10 + [2 x power level of power you want to learn]). The point therefore is to allow your character to learn new powers during rest periods like a wizard would with scrolls. Remember a bad roll will result in failure, wasting gold and time.
8) Psi focus is a meditative trance a psion can enter. A psion can use its psi focus to enhance his abilities (use meta psi feats, abilities or take a 15 on a concentration check). A psion can only maintain 1 psi focus individually. To become psi focused a psion must take a full round action and meditate, which provokes attacks of opportunity. If you fall unconscious or asleep you loose your psi focus. Eg Carrow is psionically focused and has a dragon brainlocked. The power brainlock requires a psion to concentrate to maintain its effect. However in a poor position Carrow has an drake closeby. The drake moves in and does 10 points of damage, beating Carrows AC. Carrow must now make a concentration check or loose his brain lock on the dragon. He quicly does the maths in his head and realizes that with the 10 points of damage he would need to make a concentration of 20 (or 10 + damage recieved). With a manifester level of 6, Carrow knows he would need to roll a caster level check = manifester level +1d20 dice. This means he would need a 14 or above on the dice or loose his spell (30% chance success). Instead of risking the dice roll Carrow can expend his psi focus and take a 15 for his dice roll (see page 41 psionics unleashed) . This gives him a concentration 21 which beats the DC 20, allowing for him to maintain the spell.
9) If you wish to change elemental types for your power points you must regain you psionic focus. Kineticists are exempt from this. The idea is that psions can only store one type of power in there memory at one time. Elements being cold, fire, electricity and sonic (psions cannot manifest acid). Eg to manifest energy missile the psion currently has his focus on fire (continually thinking of fire in his mind), comming across a hellhound (immune to fire) the psion finds his attacks would be more effective to focus on cold, a weakness of the hellhounds. He must then spend a full round (unless stated by a feat which can dhorten it) to change the element he is focused on (fire) to cold. This trance provokes attacks of opportunities. If you are struck with an attack when you are trying to focus you will need to make a concentration check (as in part 9) or fail to fofus. Remember a full round means you are vulnerable to attacks until your next round. So any attcks that strike you after you have started meditating will require concentration checks individually per attack. So while gaining your psi focus a psion is extremely vulnerable. Something to consider as we progress in levels and enemiex become more smarter and dangerous.
Kyle Lehmann > Carrion Crown Rule clarification psion
I know Rick was a little sketchy regarding the Will-‘o’-wisp with there spell resistance. This should clear it up Rick The following is from psionics unleashed p57-58, Combining magical and psionic effects
COMBINING PSIONIC AND MAGICAL EFFECTS
The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.
Psionics-Magic Transparency: Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.
When the rule about psionics-magic transparency isfollowing in effect, it has the following ramifications.
Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)
All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.
The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).
Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.
Multiple Effects: Powers or psionic effects usually work as described no matter how many other powers, psionic effects, spells, or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a power does not affect the way another power or spell operates. Whenever a power has a specific effect on other powers or spells, the power description explains the effect (and vice versa for spells that affect powers). Several other general rules apply when powers, spells, magical effects, or psionic effects operate in the same place.
Stacking Effects: Powers that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves. More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different powers, or one from a power and one from a spell. You use whichever bonus gives you the better result.
Different Bonus Types: The bonuses or penalties from two different powers, or a power and a spell, stack if the effects are of different types. A bonus that isn’t named (just a “+2 bonus” rather than a “+2 insight bonus”) stacks with any bonus.
Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more similar or identical effects are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies. If one power or spell is dispelled or its duration runs out, the other power or spell remains in effect (assuming its duration has not yet expired).
Same Effect with Differing Results: The same power or spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. The last effect in a series trumps the others. None of the previous spells or powers are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell or power in the series lasts.
One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant: Sometimes, a power can render another power irrelevant.
Multiple Mental Control Effects: Sometimes psionic or magical effects that establish mental control render one another irrelevant. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with one another, though one may modify another. If a creature is under the control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.
Powers and Spells with Opposite Effects: Powers and spells with opposite effects apply normally, with all bonuses, penalties, or changes accruing in the order that they apply. Some powers and spells negate or counter each other. This is a special effect that is noted in a power’s or spell’s description.
Instantaneous Effects: Two or more magical or psionic effects with instantaneous durations work cumulatively when they affect the same object, place, or creature.
THE WILL-‘O’-WISP The willowisp has the following ability
Immunity to Magic (Ex) Will-o’-wisps are immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except magic missile and maze.
According to the rules this would effectively give the creature
Immunity to Psionics (Ex)
Will-o’-wisps are immune to all psionic manifestation and psi-like abilities that allow power resistance, except those which specifically state the manifestation functions like that of a magic missile or maze spell.
If you need more info here is some webwites that may help or read the psionics unleashed section p 57-58
Websites http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/9154/can-detect-magic-detect-psionic-effects http://dmreference.com/srd/Psionic/Powers/Powers_Overview/Combining_Psionic_And_Magical_Effects.htm http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinderRPG/dreamscarredPress/v5748btpy8i42